long distance moving tips
- Book your long distance move as far in advance as possible to have enough time for preparation.
- You may want to pack the items you will need first in a clear plastic bin.
- In addition to labeling what’s in your boxes, add what room they’ll be going into, as well.
- Pack your china and plates vertically, like records. They’ll be less likely to break when moving long distance.
- You can choose to not empty dresser drawers for local or long distance moving, but make sure they are sealed.
- Make sure you don’t lose the small parts from disassembled items.
- Books should be packed in smaller and thicker boxes because they are heavy.
- Take a photo of your electronics’ wiring connections before disassembling so you know how to reconnect them.
- Use wardrobe box for proper packing of closet. Vacuum seal your off-season clothing for local & long distance moving.
- If you are doing the packing yourself, make sure everything is completely packed before the moving company arrives.
- It’s always a good idea for you to label and number your boxes regardless of how your moving company will handle the labeling.
- Pack your liquids in a plastic container then place it in a second container to prevent leaking out.
- Ask your moving company about their policy on transporting liquids.
- If you are not taking some items with you, make sure to arrange a pickup for those items in advance. Never leave it for the last day.
- Take important and sentimental documents and valuable items with you. These items could include: photos, birth certificates, passports, health and records, and insurance documents.
- Take valuable items such as jewellery and cash with you.
- Pack what you may need on the road if you are driving to your destination city.
- Never ship perishable foods with your goods. They will go bad.
- Remember to unplug your refrigerator two days prior to your move date for defrosting purpose, especially if you are moving long distance.
- Remember to change your address before you leave your origin city.
- Close or schedule disconnecting date and time for your utility accounts before leaving your origin city.
- Cancel your scheduled services and subscriptions such as pest control, gardening service, newspaper and others if any.
- Make sure parking spot is available for movers to park at both origin and destination. Obtain permits if required.
- Update your moving company of your phone number and other contact information changes.
- Have the funds available to pay the movers at destination to avoid unexpected delays and interruptions on your delivery.
- Check out some online resources for more long distance moving tips.
Please email us with your moving related questions. We will be happy to answer them promptly.